Fortress Ewood
Please Log In or Register to view the full content of the Forum, including latest Rovers news, other football news, Live Links to Rovers Matches, Streaming Movies and TV Shows etc.

Absolute Legend

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Absolute Legend

Post by RTM08 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:10 am

Andrew Flintoff became embroiled in a Twitter row with his followers and even one of his own teammates - after dubbing the townsfolk of Burnley 'dingles' who give 'six finger handshakes'.

The cricketer created an online storm after his derogatory comments aimed at Burnley's townsfolk, while disability campaigners demanded he apologise for the jibes.

Flintoff had observed Prince William and Kate Middleton's recent visit to his hometown of Preston and took his chance to throw the cheap insults at Burnley, its rival Lancashire town.

He tweeted on Monday: 'The prince went to blackburn but drew the line at burnley, no 6 finger handshakes from the dingles for Wills ! (sic)'

His Twitter post enraged some of his northern followers, but Flintoff refused to back down and even upped the ante with another provocative post.

His next tweet said: 'The burnley dingles are moaning , the town mobile phone is working overtime with all extra thumbs to the pump !'

The 'dingles' insult referred to the intellectually challenged family of the same name on Emmerdale, and is used by townsfolk in many other places as a derogatory term directed at their neighbours.

The former England fast bowler and A League Of Their Own star then implied Burnley townsfolk were illiterate by tweeting shortly after: 'Is the burnley town crier reading these tweets out to all the dingles ? Not this many can read !

The flurry of tweets prompted Flintoff's former England teammate and Burnley native James Anderson to leap to the defence of his hometown.

The Ashes hero criticised former Lancashire teammate Flintoff for relocating to Surrey and supporting Manchester City rather than his local team Preston North End.

Anderson replied to Flintoff, tweeting: 'If the Preston town crier were to read anything out I'm not sure you would here it from your Surrey mansion?'

The fast bowler added later the same night: 'it always makes me laugh when you talk about Preston this and Preston that. You live in Surrey and support Man City??'

But Flintoff was in no mood to back down even to his former teammate and friend, as he tweeted: 'Do have to get special batting gloves made for all your thumbs ?'

The ex-cricketer then decided to call a truce on the night's online banter, saying: 'Don't embarrass yourself , put all your thumbs away close your eye and go to sleep !'

Flintoff's unprovoked jibes at Burnley left some locals from the town fuming, while others seemed to take the messages in good humour.

One responder, named as 'notchuffed', wrote: 'typical arrogant too much money drunkard Preston deserter.'

But robbo345 said: 'take it for the jibe it is, i am! these 6 fingers are great for typing with anyway!'

Burnley Councillor Jeff Sumner, who as Executive Member for Customer Access and Community Engagement oversees disability issues, demanded an apology from the former cricketer.

He said: 'These comments set back the equality issue and add to the idea that it's ok to criticise people for physical difference.

'We should have an apology from Mr Flintoff for disabled people, not just for those in Burnley but for every disabled person in the country.'

The leader of the council, Charlie Briggs, said: “He doesn’t even live in Preston, he moved away.

'He’s not even a Preston fan, he supports a Manchester team so I don’t know why he is bothered about Burnley.'

However, he added: 'I’m sure it was just a bit of mick taking and it sounds like Burnley folk gave him a bit back.

'All I can do is stick my six fingers up to him.'

Burnley, in east Lancashire, is around 25 miles from Preston, with supporters of its football team believed to include the Prince of Wales and Alastair Campbell.

Sir Ian McKellen was also born in Burnley, and the town was revealed recently to have the cheapest average house price in England.

RTM08
Premiership
Premiership

Number of posts : 5935
Registration date : 2009-02-15

http://www.hawx.comxa.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Absolute Legend

Post by rob_of_the_robots on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:57 am

Freddy cheers

Champions League

Number of posts : 7840
Registration date : 2008-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:49 pm

Couldn't have put it better myself Frederick cheers
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Number of posts : 7789
Registration date : 2010-08-05
Location : oxfordshire strangely,but as they say you can take the boy out of......

Back to top Go down

Post by Roverdamus on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:50 pm

glosterrover wrote:Couldn't have put it better myself Frederick cheers

That's definitely true. All you'd have said would have been 'Rolling Eyes'.
Roverdamus
Champions League
Champions League

Number of posts : 7821
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by super_keith_andrews on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Roverdamus wrote:
glosterrover wrote:Couldn't have put it better myself Frederick cheers

That's definitely true. All you'd have said would have been 'Rolling Eyes'.

Lol.
super_keith_andrews
Premiership
Premiership

Number of posts : 3778
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Rolling Eyes
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Location : oxfordshire strangely,but as they say you can take the boy out of......

Back to top Go down

Post by RTM08 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 pm

Exactly.
RTM08
Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:05 pm

Simba
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by super_keith_andrews on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:09 pm

glosterrover wrote: Simba

super_keith_andrews
Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by RTM08 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:09 pm

super_keith_andrews wrote:
glosterrover wrote: Simba

lol!
RTM08
Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:10 pm

Legendary cheers
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:14 am

Politically-correct idiot wrote:'We should have an apology from Mr Flintoff for disabled people, not just for those in Burnley but for every disabled person in the country.'

Fuck off. That's the reason why people hate each other so much over there, because cunts like you get offended on other people's behalves. When did Flintoff mention disabled people? Are you making a generalisation that all disabled people in England have problems with too many fingers on one hand? It's a JOKE. Who fucking cares if a cricketer made it? He's a bloke, he has an opinion, and he's definitely allowed to have a laugh about a LOCAL joke. Even fucking Burnley fans get in on the banter, I fucking know, I spent 20-odd years there, so fuck off with your personal politics. Get a shag, get your wife to bumfuck you with a strap-on, do SOMETHING to take your mind off being a total fucking cunt.
Willy
Admin

Number of posts : 9875
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Roverdamus on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:26 am

Willy wrote:
Politically-correct idiot wrote:'We should have an apology from Mr Flintoff for disabled people, not just for those in Burnley but for every disabled person in the country.'

Fuck off. That's the reason why people hate each other so much over there, because cunts like you get offended on other people's behalves. When did Flintoff mention disabled people? Are you making a generalisation that all disabled people in England have problems with too many fingers on one hand? It's a JOKE. Who fucking cares if a cricketer made it? He's a bloke, he has an opinion, and he's definitely allowed to have a laugh about a LOCAL joke. Even fucking Burnley fans get in on the banter, I fucking know, I spent 20-odd years there, so fuck off with your personal politics. Get a shag, get your wife to bumfuck you with a strap-on, do SOMETHING to take your mind off being a total fucking cunt.

If that reputation button hadn't fucked off and left me with a -21 goal difference then I'd be "liking" that post so much right now. <333333333333333
Roverdamus
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:29 am

I just read it back. Wow, I was really angry! I just came back from the pub so I'm much more chilled now, but I still stand by every (sober) word I said. But with less swearing. cheers
Willy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roverdamus on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Hey...how come other people can "like" or "dislike" but I can't? Racist admins. Suspect
Roverdamus
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by StLedge on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:56 pm

I did wonder what you were talking about as the post likey thing hasn't been removed, it still shows up on your posts.
StLedge
Admin

Number of posts : 10904
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Roverdamus on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:37 pm

It's been removed for me. Sad

I can still see the green/red bar when a post has been liked or disliked, and I can still see people's reputations, but I can't "like" or "dislike" anymore. Sad
Roverdamus
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by super_keith_andrews on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Roverdamus wrote:It's been removed for me. Sad

I can still see the green/red bar when a post has been liked or disliked, and I can still see people's reputations, but I can't "like" or "dislike" anymore. Sad
super_keith_andrews
Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by Roverdamus on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:14 pm

The admins are clearly racist against people with Rovers players as their avatars, then.
Roverdamus
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:14 pm

And against me too....Bastards cheers
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by Roverdamus on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Nah, that's because you're a cunt.
Roverdamus
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:09 am

I lol'd.
Willy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rob_of_the_robots on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Well I can minus you all day long 'damus
football

Champions League

Number of posts : 7840
Registration date : 2008-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:25 pm

And you are a sweaty nutsack 'Damus finger
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top