Fortress Ewood
Please Log In or Register to view the full content of the Forum, including latest Rovers news, other football news, Live Links to Rovers Matches, Streaming Movies and TV Shows etc.

Greetings From Kuala Lumpur

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Greetings From Kuala Lumpur

Post by arover on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:48 am

My first ever visit here and it's a decent place on first impressions, particularly the food emporium I was in this lunchtime which had oriental food of every description available at incredibly cheap prices.

Also it's New Year's Eve here (Chinese style) so it's off to Chinatown in a bit.
arover
Premiership
Premiership

Number of posts : 3649
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Greetings From Kuala Lumpur

Post by rob_of_the_robots on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:04 am

Have a good time. The things you can do when you're retired. Sad

Champions League

Number of posts : 7840
Registration date : 2008-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DodgyGambit on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:18 pm

I went to KL its fantastic make sure you go to the Berjaya shopping centre

try going to langkawi too

Admin

Number of posts : 5618
Registration date : 2008-10-06

http://fortressewood.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StLedge on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Don't forget to keep us posted on your trip arover

Here.
StLedge
Admin

Number of posts : 10904

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Christ!!! the lives some people lead cheers
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Number of posts : 7789
Registration date : 2010-08-05
Location : oxfordshire strangely,but as they say you can take the boy out of......

Back to top Go down

Post by arover on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:36 am

Went up the KL tower today to the observation post, it's pretty heady up there.

We're in KL until Sunday then it's up to Penang, after that we'll work our way back down till we get to Singapore where we've got some mates who we'll stay with.
arover
Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:18 pm

Oldham is James Bond and you are Austin Bloody Powers Laughing international man of mystery indeed
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Number of posts : 7789
Registration date : 2010-08-05
Location : oxfordshire strangely,but as they say you can take the boy out of......

Back to top Go down

Post by arover on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:44 am

We discovered the shittiest, dirtiest, most minging, health hazard ridden rear reatauraunt/toilet area in the whole of SE Asia last night. Mrs. Rover lapped it up.

Chinatown.

Very Happy
arover
Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:59 am

The mingingest places are the best ones!* Very Happy

*Burnley not included.
Willy
Admin

Number of posts : 9875
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by arover on Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:21 am

Willy wrote:The mingingest places are the best ones!* Very Happy

*Burnley not included.

Correct.

The food was ace and cheap as chips.
arover
Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by StLedge on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:06 pm

How much were the chips?
StLedge
Admin

Number of posts : 10904

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:19 pm

I'm off to Trench Town tonight for the first installment of the Bob Marley birthday celebration concerts, the second one being in Emancipation Park tomorrow evening.

Trench Town is awesome, definitely one of the more "minging" places in Jamaica, and definitely one of the most dangerous. Emancipation Park is in New Kingston, which is posh (by Jamaican standards) and not really dangerous at all. Looking forward to some grilled jerk chicken neck, high-grade ganja, cheap rum, and AK-47s in Trench Town tonight. cheers
Willy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by arover on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:16 am

I'm in Penang now which is an island off the west coast of Malaysia. We got here yesterday after a five hour bus journey during which we were freezing due to the air con being mega souped up and the staff refusals to turn it down. It was 30 degrees plus outside and we were fucking shivering.

Anyway Penang's a decent place. I've never seen so much street food (all Chinese)in one town. It's all ace even if I'm not sure what a lot of it actually is most of the time. And yes Ledge it's cheap as chips again. Did museums and stuff today, having a doss now then night market and more street nosebag tonight.
arover
Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:16 pm

What are you currently eating? Tried the Chinese version of a 'full English breakfast'? It's basically a big bird's egg (not sure what bird, but something with a long neck), and they let it grow until about a day before hatching, boil it up, and crack it open. What you end up with is half of a boiled egg, yolk and all, and half of a baby bird, feathers and all. They say the meat from the bird and the white of the egg taste really good together.

I think it's just an example of the brutality of the Chinese when it comes to food. Some things just aren't meant to be eaten, and that is one of them. Let the fucking thing see daylight before you eat it, at least. Surely there's ALWAYS something else to eat, so why do that to an animal? It seems they love variation in Chinese culture, like, why have 1,000 different foods when you can have 1,000,000,000 different foods? They also have a monkey's head in the middle of the round table with a hole in it, and they scalp the monkey and eat its brains while it's still screeching - nice, eh? Rolling Eyes

Willy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OldhamRover on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Better that the animals should be rounded up, stabbed and left to bleed out, that way we can pick them off the supermarket shelves and eat without the guilt of slaughter.

Premiership
Premiership

Number of posts : 5445
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:56 pm

I don't buy any of my meat from a supermarket, it all comes from farmers who've cared well for their animals and let them live out a decent life before they go to slaughter. However, if you think somehow that people "pleading ignorance" to meat slaughter by buying it from a supermarket is the same as/less humane than cutting off a monkey's head and eating its warm grey matter while it screams then something is very wrong.

The Chinese are fucking brutal, cultural or not, they've got loose wiring.
Willy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OldhamRover on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:17 pm

I didn't say that eating part of a live animal was better than our practice, but I also don't like the idea of 'going half way', as it were.

I've never heard of anyone who has actually found a restaurant that serves the monkey live. I have read that there are places where the animal is presented live and then killed at the table, but that's a different matter, and I actually find it easier to stomach the idea of the consumer killing their own meal rather than going about it in the fingers-in-ears manner of western 'civilisation'.

Besides, how many scoops of a monkey's brain (an organ probably about the size of 1.5 tennis balls) can you take before the animal dies? Contrast that with how long it takes for a cow to bleed to death.

Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheepy on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:14 pm

Hate to be a GR but...

Rolling Eyes
Sheepy
League One
League One

Number of posts : 913
Registration date : 2010-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by OldhamRover on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Sheepy wrote:Hate to be a GR but...

Rolling Eyes

Then try articulating a point of view. Another failing of our society; that those with something of value to say should recoil at the thought of being made to look foolish on closer examination of their words whilst the overwhelming majority whose only speech is self-indulgent and often misguided are consistently forthright with their opinions.

On the surface, it may appear that unanaesthetised lobotomy might be the most monstrous fate imaginable, but given the likelihood of such a small creature dying on having its skull broken and the certainty of the trauma providing a relatively quick death, it is easy to make the case that death by exsanguination is altogether more unpleasant.

I don't wish to be sanctimonious, but I cannot bear those who would pass a field and remark on the lovely little lamb, only to make the same comment at the dinner table as they brandish the mint sauce with no thought for the symmetery.

I\'ll Get Me Coat

Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by arover on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:07 am

I've stayed pretty much with the ingredients I recognise. I don't see no live monkeys here but this is multi cultural Malaysia. One thing that was pretty much to the fore on a lot of the menus in Penang was the Canadian Geoduck, something I feel to be given a rather wide birth if you can be arsed researching what it is.

We've moved on to Langkawi now which is a tropical island set up for tourism, we're in the backpacker bit as opposed to the luxury resort bit and for me it has just the right amount of development (enough to keep me interested but no major chains poking their noses in). There's still a great mixture of grub, we scranned a great Indian last night for about a fiver between us. Off to hire a scooter for a couple of days in a minute for exploration purposes.
arover
Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by RTM08 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:22 am

arover wrote:I don't see no live monkeys here

so you DO see them? Suspect
RTM08
Premiership
Premiership

Number of posts : 5935
Registration date : 2009-02-15

http://www.hawx.comxa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by arover on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:33 am

Depends how much acid I've had.

Might even start listening to T Rex then.
arover
Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by rob_of_the_robots on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:43 pm

I don't have an intricate knowledge of livestock slaughter but I was under the impression that the animals were mainly stunned (although it's not certain whether or not they can still feel pain) before they were left to bleed out. Unless you're talking about Kosher/Halal meat.

Also, you have no nerves in your brain, so taking a scoop out of a monkey noggin wouldn't hurt it, although it would most probably be dead after the first scoop if not before). The process of getting to the brain would be a different story though.

Either way, you're not going to get everyone in the world to become vegetarian (for better of worse) so animal's are always going to be needed to be killed, and I don't suppose you're ever going to find a 100% ethical way to do it.

Champions League

Number of posts : 7840
Registration date : 2008-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Roverdamus on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:42 pm

rob_of_the_robots wrote:I don't have an intricate knowledge of livestock slaughter but I was under the impression that the animals were mainly stunned (although it's not certain whether or not they can still feel pain) before they were left to bleed out. Unless you're talking about Kosher/Halal meat.
I thought that, too, although Oldham seems more clued up on this matter than me so I didn't question him.

rob_of_the_robots wrote:Either way, you're not going to get everyone in the world to become vegetarian (for better of worse) so animal's are always going to be needed to be killed, and I don't suppose you're ever going to find a 100% ethical way to do it.
Please tell me that was deliberate. pale
Roverdamus
Champions League
Champions League

Number of posts : 7821

Back to top Go down

Post by OldhamRover on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:50 pm

rob_of_the_robots wrote:I don't have an intricate knowledge of livestock slaughter but I was under the impression that the animals were mainly stunned (although it's not certain whether or not they can still feel pain) before they were left to bleed out. Unless you're talking about Kosher/Halal meat.

Also, you have no nerves in your brain, so taking a scoop out of a monkey noggin wouldn't hurt it, although it would most probably be dead after the first scoop if not before). The process of getting to the brain would be a different story though.

Either way, you're not going to get everyone in the world to become vegetarian (for better of worse) so animal's are always going to be needed to be killed, and I don't suppose you're ever going to find a 100% ethical way to do it.

I'm not trying to convert everyone to being vegetarian. I've said before, I don't have a problem with people eating meat because it was a health choice for me, but it does make the moral ambiguities of modern food supply more apparent. I'm just curious as to why people draw the line where they do.

There is no evidence that electrical stunning prevents the animal from feeling pain, at best it keeps them still to be slaughtered. Stick your fingers in the mains and let me know if it hurts, that should give you an idea how effective electricity is as an anaesthetic. The belief that a stunning gun would preclude suffering comes from the strange thought that nervous sensation and motor ability are the same thing, but just because they can't move doesn't mean they can't feel. Even if stun guns do have the intended effect, 6% of the time they don't work.

The part that I really struggle with is that if I were to go into a field and kill an animal in the same way they are dealt with in an abattoir there would be public outrage, and it would be an issue of animal cruelty, not property. But if it's done behind closed doors then everyone is fine with it.

Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top