Fortress Ewood
Please Log In or Register to view the full content of the Forum, including latest Rovers news, other football news, Live Links to Rovers Matches, Streaming Movies and TV Shows etc.

Chas & Cam

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Chas & Cam

Post by glosterrover on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:18 pm

tongue
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Number of posts : 7789
Registration date : 2010-08-05
Location : oxfordshire strangely,but as they say you can take the boy out of......

Back to top Go down

Post by StLedge on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Fox hunting is something I don't agree with, and foxes eat chickens, and we now love chickens, so foxes are bad, I'm so confused... Sad
StLedge
Admin

Number of posts : 10904
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:44 pm

and why do you not agree with it sledge?
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Location : oxfordshire strangely,but as they say you can take the boy out of......

Back to top Go down

Post by StLedge on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:49 pm

because it is wrong!
StLedge
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:50 pm

too simplistic,allucidate please
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by StLedge on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:04 pm

I like dogs!
StLedge
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:08 pm

And so what is your concern with FOX hunting?
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by Rover the Sea on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:20 pm

Even things up, give the foxes a few AK47's and see if the hounds and huntsmen are just as keen...

Premiership
Premiership

Number of posts : 3177
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:25 pm

Not the solution i'm afraid,the red fox is vermin and needs to be controlled.Hunting is the only way to control and keep a healthy population of foxes,if there was no hunting then gamekeepers and farmers would shoot,snare and gas the red fox out of existence...but do the anti's want to hear that? no they don't,they make it a class issue but i am 37 and earn less than 25grand a year,does that make me sir tarquin cholmondeley-smythe who only goes hun ting to have a jolly??? i think not
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by Rover the Sea on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:30 pm

Go hunt some verminous pigeon too, please...

...shitting and spreading disease everywhere!!

Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:31 pm

don't worry boss,i do that too Laughing
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Just for argument's sake, is the term "game" not used in reference to something that is hunted? For example, a pheasant or a deer is classed as "game", so if the foxes are being hunted, are they not also game? In which case, the foxes hunting other game should be classed as "fair game", no?
Willy
Admin

Number of posts : 9875
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by StLedge on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:58 pm

Foxes are dogs, and i like dogs!!

I would love to get one of those snooty cunts that think it's fine to chase a scared animal, and set that cunt free through the countryside being chased by hungry dogs and anti hunt 'savages' on horseback, and them still think it's a sport or that it is fair, and when they get caught they are at the mercy of the dogs.

GR you call them vermin, why??
StLedge
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OldhamRover on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:15 pm

There are means of pest control that don't result in animals being torn limb from limb by a pack of dogs. Hunting without dogs would be more acceptable, and there are humane traps available (whether they work or not is a stretch too far for my understanding of the problem).

Another, more philosophical, point. Foxes may pose a problem to humans in a small area of the world, and the people affected think that gives them the right to kill them. But ecosystems tend to find equilibrium when left alone. The complication to the matter is the human race, which requires farming to meet our needs (although desires may be a better word, because we don't need as many animals as we use for our current diets, and we don't actually need any to survive).

Everywhere you look the major problems of the world have been caused by the greed and overpopulation of the human race. So why is no-one advocating the hunting of people to prevent poverty-motivated crime and control our number?

I know that the idea of equating the life of a fox to the life of a human will be opposed, but looking at it without sentiment it is the same.

Premiership
Premiership

Number of posts : 5445
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31 pm

OldhamRover wrote:So why is no-one advocating the hunting of people to prevent poverty-motivated crime and control our number?

I've been an advocate of this for a long time. cheers
Willy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roverdamus on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:41 pm

How long?
Roverdamus
Champions League
Champions League

Number of posts : 7821

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Probably since I started to realise the world isn't a sugar-coated bubblegum ball...about ten years or so.
Willy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by arover on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:19 am

Willy (Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:31 am) wrote:
OldhamRover wrote:So why is no-one advocating the hunting of people to prevent poverty-motivated crime and control our number?

I've been an advocate of this for a long time. cheers

I'm very much in favour of that too and have been for some time. A colleague and I once went as far as drawing up a shortlist of homes to visit at 4 in the morning armed with flame throwers and calculated that were we to go through with it we could save Salford Social Services around a cool million per year for a few hours work.

It would be a lot more at today's prices.

affraid affraid affraid
arover
Premiership
Premiership

Number of posts : 3649
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

For one sledge,foxes are only a relative of the domestic dog not actually canine.....vulpine is the term,two,snooty cunts riding horses hunting a scared animal OR? the majority of riders are hard working people who ride their horses as a matter of enjoyment and probably don't particularly care whether a fox is killed or not,three,yes a fox is torn limb from limb,but only post mortem,a fox hound is heavier and better built than 'charlie' so when the lead hound catches him the first bite snaps the neck thus meaning instant death...i am frankly amazed by the response to my statements,while i respect everyone elses opinion i am astounded by the generalisations pointed at the hunt fraternity,i admitted my shortcomings earlier in this thread and bowed to greater knowledge but on this i and my friends are being pilloried for OUR beliefs....typical of the rent-a-mob attitude of anti-hunt protesters who do not understand the good that the hunt can do and just see a class system where there is none Mad
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:13 pm

I never made any generalisations, I'm just puzzled by the whole 'game' thing. I wouldn't want to take part in or watch a hunt, but like I said, I'm not gonna hold up a sign saying it's wrong.
Willy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OldhamRover on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:59 pm

glosterrover wrote:snooty cunts riding horses hunting a scared animal OR?

Well that's a fucking strawman, because I never mentioned class, scared foxes or horses at any point. I don't mind if you make a rebuttal to points I actually make, but why make an argument out of something I never said.

glosterrover wrote:the majority of riders are hard working people who ride their horses as a matter of enjoyment and probably don't particularly care whether a fox is killed or not

Right, well an animal's right to live should be put ahead of the right of people to derive enjoyment in a manner that puts their welfare in danger.

glosterrover wrote:yes a fox is torn limb from limb,but only post mortem,a fox hound is heavier and better built than 'charlie' so when the lead hound catches him the first bite snaps the neck thus meaning instant death

Even the strongest dogs go for the throat to kill by strangulation, meaning that the victim will be alive for some time after being caught in most cases. With a particularly strong dog and a small fox the hunted animal might suffer a broken neck, but that doesn't always mean instant death.

If wolves were to become the problem rather than foxes what would happen? Bigger dogs? Or just keep hunting foxes because they are relatively easy to catch and kill?

Futhermore, foxes are crepuscular, so unless you start your hunts at sundown what you are doing is hunting an animal that is either tired or asleep to begin with.

Ultimately, it falls to the justifications of hunting and killing these animals in the first place. I've seen two different arguments, the first being recreation and the second being conservation.

Recreation should never involve causing suffering or death to an animal, in my opinion. Conservation is best left to nature, so humans shouldn't be allowed to intervene whenever they feel like it.

I'm not making generalisations (as far as I can see), I'm picking the major points that are presented to me and explaining why I disagree with the activity. Feel free to tell me your opinion, but please don't try to tell me mine.

Premiership
Premiership

Number of posts : 5445

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Nicely put.
Willy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rover the Sea on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Nature > nurture every time!

Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:34 pm

so ultimately what you are saying is all forms of country sport should be outlawed...hunting,shooting and fishing because all involve causing suffering to an animal if that's the way you want it,at the start of this thread i tried to comment on a subject i did not fully understand,i then deferred to your greater knowledge of the subject.now you are trying to tell me that something i take part in is wrong,you do not fully understand this issue and to rail against my comments is just a tad closed minded but hey have a go at the shitkicker,all he's good for is building walls and killing defenceless animals,now i'm not saying i'm not but that is extremely small minded,i would never dream of saying that a part of anybody elses life was wrong and they should stop doing it,hunting in this copuntry will continue in whatever form and no amount of belittling and snarky put downs will ever change that
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by glosterrover on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Feel a tad victimised if i'm honest,i made an ill judged comment which i have since apologised for but in doing so mentioned a part of my lifestyle and now it's been turned onto me and trying to get me to justify hundreds of years of tradition and countryside management and although it may not be it seems like a personal attack
glosterrover
Champions League
Champions League

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top