Fortress Ewood
Please Log In or Register to view the full content of the Forum, including latest Rovers news, other football news, Live Links to Rovers Matches, Streaming Movies and TV Shows etc.

NME's Top 50 Albums Of This Decade

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: NME's Top 50 Albums Of This Decade

Post by PieEater on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:55 pm

All 3 albums are class, lyrics are poetry from a darker place, the music is simplistic complexity.

As for Nobbie's lyrics, it was the song with Kylie, sometimes I couldn't be bothered to get up and turn the telly down...
PieEater
Conference
Conference

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by arover on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:11 pm

PieEater wrote:Nah, I'd go with early 90's.

The 80's you had mods, rockers, Madonna and the likes of Brother Beyond. However, I feel these were quite reflective of society, Madonna heralding a new sexuality for women and the manufactured band kind of pandering to a new yuppy want it now culture.

The 90's though saw mass manufactured bollocks, style over substance. U2 put money before music and The Spice Girls set about telling people that they should no longer be opressed but develop into a bunch of arrogant overpaid talentless whores, women have followed suit ever since. Even the Indie music that was supposed to be 'on the outsdie' became a battle of Blurasis and Coldplay killed it. The only bright spell was the raves :alien: then the tossers got into them!

Mods & Rockers in the 80s?

Selling out has long been the order of the day, Marc Bolan & T Rex come to mind.
arover
Premiership
Premiership

Number of posts : 3649
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:50 pm

Not sure how T Rex sold out but surely it can't beat this

Back to top Go down

Post by PieEater on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:30 pm

For Mods and Rockers see Punks and New Romantics.

Same spastics, different bus...
PieEater
Conference
Conference

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:27 pm

wilsbowski wrote:Not sure how T Rex sold out but surely it can't beat this

Exactly. Whenever I see this advert I think of how 'anti-establishment' the guy has been in the past, yet he can do an advert talking about how he's so 'British' and he loves all things British.

God Save The Queen, eh? Fucking hypocrite.
Willy
Admin

Number of posts : 9875
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:35 pm

It's not even Anchory in the UK der boom boom cha

Back to top Go down

Post by arover on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:28 am

wilsbowski wrote:Not sure how T Rex sold out but surely it can't beat this

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7mSE-Iy_tFY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7mSE-Iy_tFY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Bolan went from this: http://www.marmalade-skies.co.uk/tyrex.htm (note the magnificently titled album "My People Were Fair And Had Sky In Their Hair But Now They're Content To Wear Stars On Their Brows." To wearing glitter and make up and singing ditties like "Telegram Sam". I can assure you that to the heads knocking about the underground scene at the time that was seen as selling out.

Even the bard got accused of it when he first departed from his folk roots and started messing with the electric guitar, hence the famous cry of Judas from the audience in Manchester.
arover
Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by arover on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:32 am

PieEater wrote:For Mods and Rockers see Punks and New Romantics.

Same spastics, different bus...

I can see the analogy but the sell out thing was nothing new for the 90s, it's been going on ever since there has been a buck to be made.

There are a few notable exceptions though, one that immediately comes to mind was the incomparable now sadly gone Rory Gallagher, Richard Thompson is probably another but they number very few.
arover
Premiership
Premiership

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top