Fortress Ewood
Please Log In or Register to view the full content of the Forum, including latest Rovers news, other football news, Live Links to Rovers Matches, Streaming Movies and TV Shows etc.

CFT bulbs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CFT bulbs

Post by randomsam on Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:23 pm

today I was using my sky box when it suddenly stopped responding to commands from my remote control. Thinking that it might be the remote, I replaced the batteries and tried again. nothing. I then took the cover off my sky box, and exposed the ir reciever. Still nothing. Then, exasperated, I turned the (energy effiecient) light off and went to leave the room. As I did so I pressed a button on the remote, just on the off chance, and it worked! Then I turned the light back on and it refused to work, unless I stood directly between the sky box and the light.

This lead me to think about something else that happens on a fairly regular basis. My laptop has an IR reciever and a remote control and can be turned on remotely. Occasionally it turns itself on for no apparent reason. Until today, I thought it was just a fault with the laptop. Then after the issue with my light I began to wonder if it was the cause of this.

After extensive searches on google I have found nothing, absolutely nothing that brings this up as an issue. I was wondering; a) if any of you guys use these bulbs and b) if you've had any of the aforementioned issues.

randomsam
Conference
Conference

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2008-12-20

Back to top Go down

Re: CFT bulbs

Post by rob_of_the_robots on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:56 pm

It's the ghosties messing with your mind affraid

Champions League

Number of posts : 7840
Registration date : 2008-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:20 pm

Sounds a bit weird, that does. I'm not keen on those 'energy saving' bulbs. They're a pain in the arse for the amount of time they take to light up properly and they're one of the things our wonderful government recommends we use - I smell a conspiracy, Sam. Wink
Willy
Admin

Number of posts : 9875
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by randomsam on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:32 pm

rob_of_the_robots wrote:It's the ghosties messing with your mind affraid

nah, they promised to leave me alone.

Willy wrote:Sounds a bit weird, that does. I'm not keen on those 'energy saving' bulbs. They're a pain in the arse for the amount of time they take to light up properly and they're one of the things our wonderful government recommends we use - I smell a conspiracy, Sam. Wink

I very nearly titled my post as "conspiracy theory" and I was going to add a bit at the end about how they might be getting us to put these new lightbulbs in our houses, only to use them as the transmission device for some kind of population mind control. But that would've made me sound a little paranoid I think.

randomsam
Conference
Conference

Back to top Go down

Post by StLedge on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:04 am

randomsam wrote:I very nearly titled my post as "conspiracy theory" and I was going to add a bit at the end about how they might be getting us to put these new lightbulbs in our houses, only to use them as the transmission device for some kind of population mind control. But that would've made me sound a little paranoid I think.

StLedge
Admin

Number of posts : 10904
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:14 am

See the very brief section about infra-red on the design and application issues here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp . It won't solve your problem directly, but it is decent confirmation that the bulb itself could be having a direct affect on the box.

Back to top Go down

Post by randomsam on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:08 am

cheers dd, I must admit I didn't notice that the first time I looked. Anyway, its sorted now. I bought a box of the old type and quite frankly, I wouldn't care if the cft bulbs were ten times more efficient as they're much duller and on top of that, they intefere with my remotes!

randomsam
Conference
Conference

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:26 am

randomsam wrote:I bought a box of the old type and quite frankly, I wouldn't care if the cft bulbs were ten times more efficient as they're much duller

I've met some pretty boring bulbs in my time as well. Wink
Willy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by arover on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:13 am

If you want decent bulbs go to Holland.
arover
Premiership
Premiership

Number of posts : 3649
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:08 am

randomsam wrote:cheers dd, I must admit I didn't notice that the first time I looked. Anyway, its sorted now. I bought a box of the old type and quite frankly, I wouldn't care if the cft bulbs were ten times more efficient as they're much duller and on top of that, they intefere with my remotes!

I wouldn't have read the entire article either but I actually knew about them causing interference long before this post. Quite how I don't recall however. It prompted me to find that link for you. In fairness to the energy bulbs though, they have a massively increased lifespan, so require infrequent changes that would cost you x amount of money the standard bulbs would. The dullness is only temporary as they require a short period to warm up. They do spook me though as I used to have dreams when I was younger about being in rooms where the light was not bright enough for me to see.

Back to top Go down

Post by StLedge on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:42 am

Diamond Dust wrote:They do spook me though as I used to have dreams when I was younger about being in rooms where the light was not bright enough for me to see.

So the light was off then
StLedge
Admin

Number of posts : 10904
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:58 am

No, the light was on but it was too dim. Hard to explain fully what the dreams were like.

Back to top Go down

Post by randomsam on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Willy wrote:
randomsam wrote:I bought a box of the old type and quite frankly, I wouldn't care if the cft bulbs were ten times more efficient as they're much duller

I've met some pretty boring bulbs in my time as well. Wink

Laughing

And yea DD, they last longer but I've found that even when they've warmed up the light they give off isn't as bright.

randomsam
Conference
Conference

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:54 pm

You've probably been raised in a household where 60 watt bulbs and above were the standard issue. I'm sure there are brighter energy bulbs on the market though

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:35 pm

The energy saving ones are nowhere near as bright, no matter what wattage they are. They're stupid. It's like having a kettle that only heats water to halfway to boiling point (meaning you get a nice, cold brew), and then saying "well, it saves energy". That may be the case, but it doesn't do its job then, does it?

Stick to regular bulbs and waste energy - it's so much more fun.
Willy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rob_of_the_robots on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:39 pm

I'm used to low energy bulbs, we've had them for ages and it doesn't look to gloomy to me. Don't you put lightshades over normal bulbs anyway to dim them down?

Champions League

Number of posts : 7840
Registration date : 2008-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Willy on Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:03 pm

Lightshades are used to focus the light into a certain area, not really to dim them down.

The energy saving ones seem to blow fairly easily as well. Maybe we've just been unlucky with them, but we ended up going through more of them than the normal ones, so whilst they may 'save energy' they certainly don't save you any money.
Willy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samba on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:58 am

When I moved into my new flat all the bulbs in it were energy saving and it hasnt bothered me (apart from the one that buzzed that I quickly replaced)

At times its annoying that it takes a few minutes for them to get to the full brightness but ive got used to it now
Samba
Sunday League
Sunday League

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top